Following are some general suggestions to help you protect the environment before, during and after your move
- Sweep instead of hosing down driveways
- Use sand or kitty litter instead of salt on icy sidewalks
- Minimize paved surfaces on property and retain as much vegetation and rural wetlands as possible
- Use water-based products rather than solvent-based
- Reduce or eliminate the use of pesticides – use mulch and organic fertilizers instead.
- Mow lawn frequently to increase grass shoot density
- Rinse disposable diapers before throwing them away
- Turn off the water while brushing teeth
- Recycle cardboard boxes
- Use phosphate-free laundry detergent
- Recycle whenever possible
Automobile & Traveling
- Keep your car tuned
- Recycle and dispose of oil safely
- Wash your car on grass
- Don’t litter
Non-hazardous and non-recyclable
Call the Solid Waste Division in your county for disposal instructions and transfer stations in your area.
Aluminum cans, papers, appliances
Call the Solid Waste Division/Recycling in your county for instructions.
Paints, oil, pesticides, dyes, coolants. Call the Solid Waste Division/Hazardous Wastes in your county for instructions.